Saturday, October 11, 2008

What works for me




Any one else find that carrot (or money) dangling there as an attempt to motivate you by your employer not as strong as a motivation as they try to make it? Like Jeremy Bentham’s “carrot on a stick” approach (Shah & Shah, 2007). Or am I alone on that thought?
Shah & Shah (2007) discussed the attitude motivation and the competence motivation and the more reflection that is done to work situations the incentive bonuses (for us the hottest phones) as motivation attempts to renewing customers contracts with us is not as effective as it is for some of my co-workers. It is clear with representatives why corporate wants us to renew contracts and upgrade anyone who is eligible, but that sort of incentive is not effective for me.
The greater motivation is the drive to get better at my job, to be good at it, and perform consistently at a high quality - competence motivation. Knowing that I am not quite where I need to be, per our quality department & management, is very frustrating and inspires me to do my best. Where the struggle is at is dotting every ‘i’ & crossing every ‘t’ on 100 percent of the time. Most the time it is accomplished, which demonstrates that the knowledge is there. Plus several times the compliment is give, from my customers, how great my service is and how informative and helpful I am. Every call, every day I learn from my experience and focus to perform better each time.
Anyone else find it easier to relate to these theories or have discovered what may help motivate you in work & life?

Shah, K. & Shah, P. (n.d.) Motivation. Retrieved July 10, 2007, from http://www.laynetworks.com/Motivation.html.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hi Anne,

When I was much younger, money was a huge motivator. I went after the law degree because of money. The cash definately made certain aspects of my life easier. My daughter has had a private school education and we've done great things in the community. However, the money only motivated me to a certain point. After a number of years, it takes a toll. I am an achievement and power motivated person. I like to accomplish tasks but I like to feel that I'm contributing to the organization/group. I know myself better now than I did when I was a pup. Money no longer motivates me.

James Lutz said...

Hi Anne,
I agree with Emily. Financial incentives are ok, but they only go so far. My son also works at a call center and is judged by very measurable metrics, including talk time, number of credit cards sold, etc. What doesn't show up on his manager's Excel spreadsheets are the customer satisfaction numbers, which are at the top. Humans like to judge each other based on measurable results, which are very one-dimensional. I think the real measure of wealth is family and friends... judging by your blog and knowing you from class, you must be one of the wealthiest people in our class.
Jim